Discover millions of ebooks, audiobooks, and so much more with a free trial

Only $11.99/month after trial. Cancel anytime.

Thread on Arrival
Thread on Arrival
Thread on Arrival
Ebook307 pages4 hours

Thread on Arrival

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

4/5

()

Read preview

About this ebook

In this coastal New England town, folks take care of the needy—but someone is killing without kindness . . .

Ike Hamilton is a part of the Haven Harbor community just like anyone else, though he’s fallen on hard times and has to make do on disability checks and deposit bottles. Most of the locals do what they can to help him out, and needlepointing partners Angie and Sarah are happy to see him at the annual Blessing of the Fleet, honoring all those lost at sea over the centuries.

But when harmless Ike is stabbed, suspicion quickly falls on a troubled teenage boy who’s new in town. Angie’s convinced that young Leo is innocent—but if he didn’t do it, who did? Turns out Ike may have appeared simple-minded, but he knew a few secrets that someone might have murdered him to keep quiet. Angie sets out to trace Ike’s bottle-collecting route to find out what he witnessed—and for this killer, there may be no redemption . . .
LanguageEnglish
Release dateApr 30, 2019
ISBN9781496716743
Author

Lea Wait

Lea Wait made her mystery debut with Shadows at the Fair, which was nominated for an Agatha Award for Best First Novel. Shadows on the Ivy, the third novel in her acclaimed series featuring Maggie Summer, is forthcoming in hardcover from Scribner. Lea comes from a long line of antiques dealers, and has owned an antique print business for more than twenty-five years. The single adoptive mother of four Asian girls who are now grown, she lives in Edgecomb, Maine. In addition to the Antique Print mysteries, Lea Wait writes historical fiction for young readers. Her first children's book, Stopping to Home, was named a Notable Book for Children in 2001 by Smithsonian magazine. Visit her website at LeaWait.com.

Read more from Lea Wait

Related to Thread on Arrival

Titles in the series (9)

View More

Related ebooks

Mystery For You

View More

Related articles

Reviews for Thread on Arrival

Rating: 4.2115385384615385 out of 5 stars
4/5

26 ratings8 reviews

What did you think?

Tap to rate

Review must be at least 10 words

• Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
    4/5
    It's sad that there will be no more Mainely Needlepoint mysteries, nor others by Lea Wait, who died before her final book in the series was published. This volume was one of the better ones. Good for lovers of Maine and cozy mysteries with a bit of romance.
    4/5
    Spring has arrived at Haven Harbor, Maine and the Blessing of the Fleet is in full swing. Angie Curtis sees Ike Hamilton, an elderly man with some learning difficulties,collecting recyclables to turn in for money. It;s his way of supporting himself. However, some of the more "esteemed" residents feel that he brings the image of Haven Harbor down and want to have him relocated somewhere else before the tourist season is in full swing. Angie and her fellow needlepointer Dave, meet Ike with a new friend,Leo, a teenager who Dave thinks may be a runaway. Dave tries to befriend the teenager and offers his name and address in case he ever needs help. The next day Leo shows up on Dave's doorstep terrified because Ike is dead!The mystery is full of twists and turns, bad guys and good guys, and a few red herrings!Sol much fun!
  • Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
    5/5
    The plot, the characters, and the Maine setting all combine to make this, the 8th installment in the Mainely Needlepoint mystery series, another outstanding mystery from Lea Wait.Though this series features an amateur sleuth, Angie Curtis, who runs a needlepoint business, it's not quite as cozy as other cozies I've read. Although it's always best to read a mystery series in order, readers could start with this one, if they're so inclined.Highly recommended for fans of well-plotted mysteries.(I received a copy of this book from the publisher, via Net Galley, in exchange for a fair and honest review.)
    4/5
    Lea Wait’s THREAD ON ARRIVAL is her latest Mainely Needlepoint Mystery.I like this ‘cozy mystery’ series.Lea Wait is a well-known writer. She writes several cozy mystery series and historical fiction books for middle grade students. This series has very clever titles; lovely cozy, colorful covers and a wonderful sense of location. The series takes place in Haven Harbor, Maine and is full of local speech, customs, recipes and familiar places. Each chapter opens with a historical sampler or piece of needlework along with its creator and history.Angie Curtis has returned to Haven Harbor, where she was born and raised, after 10 years in Arizona working as a assistant private investigator. She revived and took over her grandmother’s needlepoint business and has acquired a sense of comfort and belonging in her home town. With new friends and a blossoming relationship with Patrick, it looks like she may be in town to stay.When Ike Hamilton is murdered, Angie is ready and willing to help investigate.The characters are very well-developed, well-defined and very realistic. The plots are a bit meatier than in other cozy mystery titles.I would heartily recommend this series and title.
    4/5
    Thread on Arrival is the eighth novel in A Mainely Needlepoint Mystery series. It can be read as a standalone, but I would recommend reading Twisted Threads first. It will provide you with background information on Angie and the major secondary characters. It is hard to believe that Angie has been in Haven Harbor for less than a year. She is managing Mainely Needlepoint, dating Patrick West, has made some good friends and has her adorable black cat, Trixi. In Thread on Arrival, we are introduced to Ike Hamilton who has fallen on hard times. He wants to live out the rest of his days in Haven Harbor and, when his home was demolished for safety reasons, he took up residence in the garage. Ike is an honorable man with principles. He does not like seeing people harmed or being taken advantage of by those in power. Angie feels bad that she was unaware that he collected bottles and could have assisted him. When Leo becomes the prime suspect, Angie wants to assist the young man who has had a difficult life. All of the regular characters are in the Thread on Arrival (Gram, Sarah, Anna, Dave, Ruth, Reverend Tom) as they get ready for tourists to soon descend on the town and work on needlepoint projects for Mainely Needlepoint. I enjoy the descriptions of the projects and the sampler quotations at the beginning of each chapter along with descriptions of the sampler. Sarah Byrne is Angie’s best friend and owns an antique shop. We get historical information on political memorabilia (political buttons are valued by collectors) and learned the history of embroidered “pockets” (not the type in the seams of our clothes). There are lovely cozy moments as we follow Angie about her day-to-day activities. I appreciated that we got to know more about Dave Percy in this installment (he has a unique poison garden). The mystery was thought out with multiple viable suspects. I was able to identify the killer early in the story, though, based on previous books I have read, and I had a strong suspicion as to why. The secondary crime was more unique. I like how the reveal was done and was happy to see this killer taken down. There are recipes at the end of the book which includes Dave’s lasagna and Angie’s special birthday cake. Come along to Haven Harbor for good food, antiques, needlepoint, clear skies, and a pesky murder or two in Thread on Arrival.
    4/5
    Although I have to admit that my enthusiasm for cozy mysteries is waning, Lea Wait's Mainely Needlepoint series is still a favorite. Chalk it up to a cast of characters that's always interesting, mysteries that are always intriguing, evocative chapter headings that remind me of the samplers I stitched in my childhood, and a setting that has Maine in the top three on my list of states that I want to visit.In Thread on Arrival, readers learn about Haven Harbor's annual Blessing of the Fleet, when those who have died at sea are remembered and the boats of the locals are blessed. It's a moving ceremony that is undoubtedly performed in coastal towns around the world where fishermen brave the elements to make a living.We also get to know Dave Percy, one of the Mainely Needlepointers, better because he is the one who is adamant about helping prove homeless teen Leo's innocence, although others in the group are quick to offer their help. In fact, helping others is one of the themes in Thread on Arrival (and in the series as well).Needlepoint, helping others, Maine traditions, interesting characters, and a mystery that has a long suspect list-- just five of the reasons why I continue to enjoy this series. If you haven't already, I urge you to give it a try.
    5/5
    Angie Curtis lives in Haven Harbor, Maine and runs Mainely Needlepoint, a small business she took over from her grandmother; she and its members create needlepoint items that they sell online and in stores. She and her boyfriend Patrick are attending the Blessing of the Fleet, an annual ritual where her grandfather (by marriage) Pastor Tom is conducting this year. It is a reading of the names of those who have died while fishing, and a blessing of the boats before the season begins. When Angie sees that one of the other needlepointers, Dave Pearcy, she goes over to say hello. Dave is a high school science teacher, and together they notice Ike Hamilton. Ike's a bit slow, and since his parents died, he lives alone - or so they thought - in his family's old garage, their home having been destroyed years ago. With him is a teenager who only identifies himself as Leo.Dave wonders about Leo, since he hasn't seen him at the school and wonders who he is. He tells Leo if he ever needs help, to come find him; describing his house for the young boy. Little does he know that it will be sooner than later Leo will need his help. The next day, while Angie is visiting Dave, Leo shows up at his door. He tells Dave that Ike is dead, and he needs help.Angie calls the police - even though Leo doesn't want anything to do with them - and he tells his story. Dave decides to care for Leo since there is no one else, but the police have him down as the main suspect in the murder. While Dave and Angie both believe the boy is innocent, she decides to do a little sleuthing herself.Angie, who worked for a PI while living in Arizona, has a bit of experience in this (also having helped solve other murders). What she finds out about the people in her town is eye-opening, to say the least, and gives her a few suspects that may have had a reason to want Ike out of the picture. But her final help comes from an unlikely source, and it shows her the truth isn't always easy to see, even if it's right in front of you all the time...This is such a delightful series to read. The characters are well-drawn, and I love the fact that Angie doesn't walk blindly into situations that could put her in danger. She actually thinks things out first, putting all the facts in front of her, then disassembling them piece by piece until she can put the puzzle back together again. It's refreshing to read.Angie's investigation takes her out of town, where she learns about Leo's past, which she shares with Dave, and he, in turn, shares with the police. But Dave's faith in the boy only wavers a little; they're still convinced he's innocent of murder (although Angie does waver a tad). Yet she always wants to find the truth, unwilling to convict without sound evidence. Unfortunately, it brings several people to view in an unfavorable light, which bothers her.She's also coming into a new stage with Patrick, and he's allowing himself to realize that he doesn't mind her sleuthing at all. It was a nice surprise, and hopefully Angie will appreciate that this a good man who truly loves her. We will see on that front.Anyway, we learn a little more about Dave's past, and while it's rather sad, it made him the man he is; I have always liked him and I like him even more; it's always nice to learn about the secondary characters. It makes them more human, and brings you more into the story. We've already learned about Sarah's past, so I recommend that if you haven't read any of the previous books, you go back to the beginning and do so, because it's a very good series indeed.I did know the who the murderer was early on, but only because I read so many mysteries and pay extreme attention to details; still, my enjoyment of the book never faltered as Ms. Wait is a talented writer who knows how to weave a story admirably and put everything together so well. And this she does admirably.In the end, I felt that the ending was quite satisfactory; the murderer revealed in an unexpected setting, with everything joined nicely and giving a tale that is filled with plenty of clues and quite fun to read. I look forward to the next in the series. Highly recommended.
    5/5
    amateur-sleuth, family, friendship, law-enforcement, cozy-mystery, maine, historical-research, needlework, teens, culinary ***** What a marvelous book! Putting the mystery aside for the moment, the chapter introductions each describe a sampler and its creator complete with a bit about her life in the late 18th or early 19th century and the East Coast town she lived in. It was like a trip through a fine museum, and I loved it! The mystery, characters, twists, and red herrings were very well done and the frustrations and puzzlements of those involved are so clear that the reader is so tightly caught up in the story that putting it down just doesn't feel like an option. The publisher's blurb does pretty well, and spoilers are just wrong, so I'll just repeat that I loved it! I requested and received a free ebook copy from Kensington Books via NetGalley. Thank you so much!

Book preview

Thread on Arrival - Lea Wait

%3^book_preview_excerpt.html\ےƑm7Cle'4ͥs M{'X$$C=/<' ٳp$XxukdxVniڝ| ڃL%N0U1AN .*4`NFZU Jy0uۯ3T/ߴᄅR2.cd2WZ 8oYFǽsr7Bs)$l׳&d(C@Iv~2`u욘,_jwI!lYʜ"ýb]IDqWM-V/K>SsXkd߷":712chGَ,tUxU)TX|ի:&YVN-az݊42WUӱeU:y7qQ^ʏ YMo}BL "vp:{_L.FD/{^n~FTpmبp>b g&˕"e.ӵI[Q' I'}+BkڳkO,#D1rt^~!5g1ѠSBԗS~fɔ'ݧmVqYE/&Ŭz*k,xb'^ –ew]M]ݽxX1yN=*h4O:|&m!lhjFVƦ k #rOD9D'Dme<( 1~rbxRb$-C$X$_ؙrpx [9f)$?151OI)tu }~aJ<_Q|XMso^ҷ[2tJB^xS;I߷P雗&Lվ]& fIG/$f~qXh]}Ϙd c|gI@%D/g <F*TCʯ}1>>FyAWreyX \P"ٽ~ѼAɔsn5Ra)D_:pas<_Dt]%.p|g^ص)T)EZ[ 5R8hu%0b5dD?,s>vS^(6+5=.`l9 bIGVC<+7)[io<5 lCt ]jyӈW^W2cf7N52,`I+!TW"hWx~)D񓸼[YblJT(5%ə:1fmR))%2.{fp3C=qYwn|Ru+`RsZ$Fa^<o,j-XsB_gU?"ERNY*K"Pz,xCp3+ )? ۭT.fvt;7ќZE)T2UVSDD}>=yxa'gݰ=%KHCջ[LL ӏB"NLZ~z@NK˹0٨d Z _/D`7a+z`M2x:GtMTJ;9'x`rcpD ` FPCCI, \\@k_JLO.@0k. !L'f[wRkOf݀p.ͳG0/J|9Iro4O,-4^ ?i(Z`. 9be7 Vy9&&>\| @# 8#V0u4PQ)2`TtWITTk 8Jxlce)I! .ꮉ>コۙ{Z圃3v]VVɦ ca+.Ҕ$]Z\Bfruq7FG7׻FZHEcC- `/CA@a7Ɣcarl@U>z^GӃ$>)g&d?"(ߥ5(4cDӁ4Յ84'2;kOy 2LN ͼ{g`Yq#KC[! Va{94*LrL63/_I x &R|X(& w=w& _#&:ZZJQ!IuI *F+y5U+)t`~<1#.{ }_>6|]# ^ wSoX9Ňo&A9TOQ@QcQ0ێ\hLȄ`Kees c Q gVfk0ahe)ӎ܌*z"{Z)p޺qGє>eŰR1q`wz?aI ! 1(E(0$ uo2F>x rfD#x gZ f#R{rHP[x3?$|Q<LPGsg481;C3KQ)U'U,GH;2ī 2j/,DҶ@\AZ:x=L' R;\.h/< m؟ï[5~%*ݑFk8O7H&L/+@Y IpR^ZW0(݁{E9tq hź\pl ϝxpoNWKAk\LRr$8/# `|c͍IaРD,U>8șc{%iSO&!kʂT&&O0'c%iǢ^38[2D8˰~30"삡xGhpc.T+옟HjC,+Yˬ 䕠Tʧ](B:y.!:}ﭶ|Uqu_~VJr)%{޶ɰjV* ɀ̤3eGx&dlcj$3| 8G]D|a2-L] 5{,e>8[M݉6y{/Ӽ ǺEMr3Áȿ7P{ IQ+3,~6g-9Vj(&`4&ETsm N0Qh">PFB9~ ×ie&ʺΕ0gV Rvfkt>C4,Gh8J * NT5S\;ӱ<qN(X i1+1p #a*vCJZMb+MV5=;Q9B5h=-DL2lF fpb^֛P CQ9a IMB\L KExRZ{LJ8BAj}*h en $gF痞L1(2Y@"3ǜhUbя 6 t4YԮ'Hk#YrW2y5V3;OM, aȔcmnI l5X1j1ڼՐkK{Z1h3PlZ4+p:hkGZ զ*VDz^1pix (spASev8j"ʲF4|ۼeIF6Os;留%w+˕J4);Y&TGt\#1y@(̰  &.ZYw={J#9E9l;4kژB/Fp^!Їi1WvJ cZ1ۣQdJqΟ Vc$Z&p9ogТb]ӔS&?L#%Lvd8p3cE+C \&d ܱm 风Sְ"[(MN՜kP[1T 9C;%тNNF0+Zl+,bL"e;DV)4,VgrbT"bE-*ypMZpG*t \8DY4&2 ,fUygx'eyOz SzɌ%D^w;[l58l,RG9E\Tg6ԩ*T:KtCb@u 2]O,k/cZjC/[4sh;+QoY6 '-k'eb}uES}DdCA{a1;19;M , 9ۓ͙3TO LϦ=dE˺vrlBB#XȤ}~+u򞌨w<[%)WDhr"z'wPԧ<.2[e^f"*x a\j"sNok89f*,p0*˂\4 _5nP(Q%Fm(Eyi^&m!%C)fQtOR*{bv MAO/pu $/4᭩n=_b9\C*`ppރ9q*͏gn`X Z%@0hHM  ]Nb 1mX"r ' 0h]}m E;U|tTۻ^sJxQ ꝖIpߌ{YTGY-`"|H@#ObgȚJ4!8f{:UvzA;_O橲83f3؈Ml )j[ ~ܡ~zCeَN,F;=\;YB@xPH?N7* -V% ˭Gsƨ/3E$GwUݫ2k.U]+dTMz, xMB Zka}Ul\҃< (̬xH?jZ/ڗEC!V:^$/߹%Tj5~"b[`}[ toXJJ6\ZEj{E\[?w;$ϱފêv&/\C5 .^7Yg9o WO߈B>}?(!@XtCvLH ;<ns}]ou@ㅀ8r'ܖ>^^NC303HoE1>!50 ѓYiU w'Y#GZ "j 7+ey% d$a,WA=-YH{IhbKDP̟h@LVSPaP: X)Tc37 HlK)qe4'|?~:O-.qA!+EmJ,_s@;lw"M"*X~EPf8!WxkQe 4,\"ǐt3)km@+lXr AĝmesƋISg Bn;مPT 0KgMa.RΘ zZ&{g2%I 5C9kυ ivZѬ_!rζG xN8cH2!=0to=*!zYbDaKwBW`?[6Yz\*6Jv)🈅7f>51IoBٯ~W,VFBޟU b+Z(A}dו͠|yoZtݸ*LdĚwYSUuBH%*7_N)`twҶ>@S#p|z 7vy~5 ?7iK R"Щ8{}#SNEyC3FF|m]Jvrb#g k7@7t)t7aaЩ/uip,`{v5cqc&եCŊ`K1z 7TJXiAIk=eO>mdN+f˃nJae(HrA7 `NbV  Hj-HtSP' I25^Ԓ5ɼ}F@Bi,$a8ڳ9UcK k2yZ#/$C[rKӼ4ǫ:.Xn5euko. F}F+t펷KqҚXG5OdN̋m@7V7{:zɯ(1̆UA|mωP#p]yq YM9bi?jCx]v蝂_Mv?.e70}-_,iob!͞$;$݅`:%^./Fpr?+Q85M,.F4cM[LooXԓ@l&j:|exʚyٕ[9w շk}QeI9+(7,}-} U-KK]ovV|1 cm\z;|KǦSVJd[=]4+՞i(W%~ y.*`7ə:q!O5 7-sNKX씂xԷ>4,tDq( hc_eKz\Η=ZVR~.;=Y;{ffogأ(֏NwZ<փq,Dl $jn-\Y`\ȨE67| F'Fkn 8y̗(j1ї)4)eZ_ܰ_1}|cwrDNoh{V:X3(ƗYcn 7 ˳6p̀ɟ\(˗3WF'+PnD pz8*,5^ ;x-Ee#֝$ho|%Z]~E @&-t!&?۠2])/t痦Nʄ :2r46m¢ ІɫDnNaqaתyS8cҴܑ |roj<Aq_ƎfPҧoᔎn@ƌt@)_۽Gc} YV
Enjoying the preview?
Page 1 of 1